Your “due date” was 19 June 2013.  We were kinda wondering when you would decide to make your appearance.  I had lots of practice contractions the night of 30 Jun and 1 Jul, that I thought both those nights it was go time.  Even the previous week I would have a night or 2 of contractions that I thought were “it”.  The night of the 2nd, there was nothing going on.  My water broke around 0500 on 3 july 2013.   It was just a little trickle here and there, with an occasional gush throughout the day, but with really no contractions until about 1400.  I started timing my contractions and they averaged 50s long about 4 minutes apart.  Your dad went to pick up your brother at daycare and I called Ayla to come over.  When she did, she timed my contractions and they were now 1.5 minutes long and about 3.5 minutes apart.  Cynthia called and said she was heading our way.  During the first phase I was downstairs with Ayla, circling the stairs doing pranayama breathing during the contractions.  My legs were starting to ache, so Ayla would massage them.  When Daddy got home with Zeke, they ate dinner and I went upstairs (because actually the smell of the meat was not sitting well with me).  I was already feeling pretty exhausted even though it was only about 1730.  I would lay down in the bed in childs pose to rest and then get on all 4s during the contraction.  Cynthia and Crystal arrived but were very quiet and let me do my thing while they set up.  Daddy was tending to Zeke and getting him ready for bed.  Ayla was helping me through contractions pushing my hips in and doing light strokes on my back.  I remember the contractions getting pretty intense but wanted to not think about it because Zekes labor was so long…I was planning another marathon again.  I would sit on the ball to relax between contractions and stand and sway during them.  Daddy came in and took over.  I think he was a bit shocked at the quick handoff from Ayla and wasn’t quite sure what he was walking into.  He was also prepping for a marathon.  Contractions were definitely intensifying!  I would go from hot during, to cold after.  My legs were also shaking a bit.  I was having double peak contractions, so Cynthia suggested I change it up a bit.  So I asked if I could go down stairs.  Daddy and I went down stairs.  I would walk around and he would try to clean the kitchen, when I would call him over to support me during a contraction.  We would stand and sway and I would lean against him.  I would think to myself a few different words like open, peace, relax, release and he would say those things to me too.

After a couple laps around the house again, I had to go to the bathroom.  Even if you have to go, there’s no pausing contractions and kinda felt a tiny urge to push.  They heard a little grunting from upstairs and came down.  Time to get her up stairs they said.  As we went upstairs, Daddy went to check on Zeke and I was have stronger contractions.  I was 8cm at that point and was told I could probably push my way to 10cm.  I kinda squatted at the foot of the bed (the place where I had Zeke).  But it was putting too much pressure on your head.  So I moved to the bed, and got caught having a contraction on my side.  Yikes! That was no fun!  I asked if I could go to the tub.  Yes.  Daddy was back at that point and they started to fill up the tub.  As I got in, the contraction feeling transitioned to one of just wanting to grunt and push.  I didn’t know how long this would take, since I pushed for 3 hours with your brother.  Daddy would tell me to relax in between pushing which really helped.  I had to release all my muscles to make this work.  I was thinking different things to myself.  Like “don’t push with your face” as someone told me a few weeks earlier.  I tried doing the HIC breathing during some pushing sessions.  I was starting to feel the ring of fire! Throughout the night, I would rub my belly in a circular motion during contractions or hold my belly.  I held my belly in the tub.  And I kept my eyes closed a lot in the tub because it was pretty red in color. (sorry, but it was and I didn’t want to look at it.) I reached down and I could feel your hair flowing in the water.  Soon your head and all the rest of you popped out.  The total time in the tub was 13 minutes.  Not too shabby little lady!  You came out and they put you on my chest.  Your daddy was right behind me the entire time (by the way, he was in pain too because I was “crushing” his foot).  Your eyes were wide open and you were very quiet (and purple).  Daddy said you looked at me and took your first breath.  Then you looked at him and started crying.  You scored an 8 on the scale.  I was shaking and shivering, but that was pretty normal.

I was waiting for the chaos to begin (like when your brother was born).  But it was all very peaceful and serene.  Everyone was calm and cool because everything was perfect.  Your cord blood was collected and then daddy cut your cord.

We moved to the bed and lay down to snuggle.  Still everything was peaceful.  We took pictures and looked at you in amazement.  It was a perfect birth.  I was so happy and it was everything I had hoped for.  I did tear a little and had 4 stitches, but that was a non-issue.

This is how a birth is supposed to go.  I was tired, but not like last time.  For the next 24 hours, I enjoyed the super high that follows a labor like that.  Such a feeling of love overtakes you and nothing else matters.  It is the most beautiful thing in the world and it’s too bad not everyone gets to experience it.  In total the labor lasted under 7 hours.  Our team left around 0000 on the 4th.

I think your great grandma (your namesake) was watching over me…


Posted in: Birth Stories